SLI vs CrossFire

Discussions for technical problems, or just chatter about your latest toy!

SLI vs CrossFire

Postby Zagreus » 08 Mar 2006, 16:08

I'm a bit behind the times and currently have an AGP mobo, so I'm running with a Radeon 9800 Pro with 256MB ram. So i'm thinking of getting a new system with PCI-E and was wondering what yalls oppinions were on Nvidia's SLI and ATI's CrossFire.

I'll start by saying that I've been very dissapointed with ATI lately, as the two major games that I've been playing lately (RFO and EQII) seem to be unsupported.

For EQII you actualy have to downgrade your drivers back to mid 2005, and in RFO you have to leave your sharpness/glow effect off. In either one of these games if you don't have them set up just right your system will become unstable, your video card will hang, and your computer may even reboot itself.

However, in ATI's defense, I hear that SLI is only compatable with certain games (and even EQII, which has the Nvidia logo on it does not utilize SLI). So, with SLI, the majority of the time you'll really only be running off of one card, while CrossFire is supposed to be an always on type of deal.

What are your thoughts?
-Insert sig here

Zagreus
Cannon Fodder
Cannon Fodder

Postby @B0FH » 08 Mar 2006, 16:27

Crossfire is again on a support-basis like SLI. However, its got a better firmware fudge of it.

Tbh i'd wait for the physics co-processers to come into play (Which ATI are ahead of nVidia here) as they will do more to improve performance than a second gfx card (And will be connected in the same way as a dual-card setup).
I Have A Fully-Charged Cattleprob, And The Temprement Of A Bullsquid - Do You Want To Take Me On?

@B0FH
Systems of Hull
Systems of Hull

Steam ID: b0fh
GfWL/XBoxLive ID: leb0fh

Return to Hardware/OS Discussions