New Graphics Card

Discussions for technical problems, or just chatter about your latest toy!

New Graphics Card

Postby smeg4brainsuk » 17 Nov 2011, 00:56

Hey all, been out the loop for a bit with computers so i thought i would get your input on what GPU i should upgrade to.

Looking to buy a new one just around/after xmas and hoping to spend £100-£150. Main reason for upgrade is i am hoping to get stuck into The Witcher 2 and Skyrim in full glory next month (not allowed to buy them as "i don't know what santa will get me" - fiancee) and my current GPU still has a rather good trade in value.

Current System Spec:
OS - Windows Home Premium 7 64bit
Processor - AMD Phenom II X4 940 BE
Motherboard - Asus Crosshair II Formula
GPU - Zotac Geforce 260 GTX
PSU - High Power Plus 750W
RAM - 7GB (3x2GB + 1x1GB)

I put the full system spec here for compatibility and to make sure it ain't just my GPU that needs a big upgrade XD cheers all!
I care not for life nor death, only freedom

smeg4brainsuk
Monkeh!
Monkeh!

Steam ID: smeg4brainsuk
Playstation Network ID: smeg4brainsuk

Re: New Graphics Card

Postby CardiffGreens » 17 Nov 2011, 21:38

You're not the only one who's out of the loop with hardware these days - been far far too long since I messed about with the innards of a PC.

Usually I just head to overclockers and pick up whatever is either on offer, or what looks the most shiny. =(

Not much in the way of helpful advise I grant you.

CardiffGreens
Monkeh!
Monkeh!

Steam ID: CardiffGreens
GfWL/XBoxLive ID: CardiffGreens
Playstation Network ID: CardiffGreens
Wii Number: 2359-0953-5807-0397

Postby MasterAvatar » 23 Nov 2011, 19:07

Hey Smeg

Your best option's for around the price currrently would be either (I cant see any instant problem with compatability):

Nvidia GTX 560 - It's the basic model of Nvidia's current range of cards (5 Series). You get 1GB memory. 800+MHz GPU speed and around 4kMHz GDDR. Price wise around £130-£170. Id recommend: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1gb-asus ... i-mhdmi-pl.

(However there is word on some forums that nvidia might be lowered there 5 series card prices in december).

Now me not being an ATi person anymore im not 100% sure but i'd say thing along the lines of AMD Radeon 6870 - This is more the top end mid range card. With similar specs to the Nvidia card however these have a 900MHz GPU speed.
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1gb-sapp ... mi-display

The only other upgrade I would consider for you system would be a Solid State Drive - Current best option's would be a OCZ Drive either:

OCZ Agility 3 / Vertex 3 60gb or 120gb SSD.
Agility 3 - http://www.scan.co.uk/products/120gb-oc ... s-85k-iops
Vertex 3 - http://www.scan.co.uk/products/120gb-oc ... te-275mb-s

Thanks

p.s. I linked to scan as I just bought my new PC from them and there service was excellent (cheaper than overclockers also)

MasterAvatar
Old-School Monkeh
Old-School Monkeh

Postby MADWyvern » 24 Nov 2011, 10:11

Agreed on both the Gfx card and the SSD, personally i'd go for a Zotac card, brilliant overclocks. and the agility 3 over the vertex.

MADWyvern
Old-School Monkeh
Old-School Monkeh

Steam ID: MadWyvern

Postby smeg4brainsuk » 29 Nov 2011, 02:23

Cheers guys, hope nvidia do drop there prices in December, nicer card for the same price!

However i have 2 questions

1) does an extra 100MHZ GPU speed make that much difference? we talking a couple extra FPS or the equivalent of another card upgrade?

2) what kind of performance boosts would i be expecting from a SSD (have paid no attention to them at all)? i would assume faster load times but does it do much else?

Cheers all!

smeg4brainsuk
Monkeh!
Monkeh!

Postby CardiffGreens » 29 Nov 2011, 08:55

SSD = no moving parts, no noise, no potential failure in terms of mechanical failure (plates not spinning, arm breaking etc).

The main benefit is indeed the increase in access speed (since the disk doesn't need to spin to read/write data). I haven't any figures to show the improvement mind. They are fairly expensive, so I know a few people who have used the SSD for the OS install and critical files they'll be using and had another cheap sata disk for the other data.

Though you could also look at setting up a small RAID array if you felt like it - though I couldn't tell you the speed differences of RAID 5 vs and SSD =P

CardiffGreens
Monkeh!
Monkeh!

Steam ID: CardiffGreens
GfWL/XBoxLive ID: CardiffGreens
Playstation Network ID: CardiffGreens
Wii Number: 2359-0953-5807-0397

Postby MasterAvatar » 14 Dec 2011, 21:31

Hi Smeg

Sorry havent looked down this end for awhile.

1) Not really - its the way the card copes with different settings that matters most. AA etc - Which id say Nvidia has the better performance.

2) Faster loading times - quicker installs. Average SSD read speed = 500mb Average Write = 500mb. - Yes there capacity isnt great but I dont think id use a normal hdd again.

MasterAvatar
Old-School Monkeh
Old-School Monkeh

Postby smeg4brainsuk » 07 Jan 2012, 12:34

Hey all again!

Have decided on getting a ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II http://www.scan.co.uk/products/31280mb- ... -i-dp-hdmi as i can get it for £215 off a mate

Bit overkill but if i get this now then i can go about upgrading my system over the next year and not have to worry about upgrading my GPU as this will last me quite sometime. My only concern is my pc will bottleneck due to the CPU, is that so (in which case what if i overclocked the CPU) or will it perform fine? also will upgrade to SSD when i get the chance XD

OS - Windows Home Premium 7 64bit
Processor - AMD Phenom II X4 940 BE 3.0Ghz
Motherboard - Asus Crosshair II Formula
GPU - Zotac Geforce 260 GTX
PSU - High Power Plus 750W
RAM - 7GB (3x2GB + 1x1GB)

Cheers!

smeg4brainsuk
Monkeh!
Monkeh!

Postby MasterAvatar » 08 Jan 2012, 15:16

Hi Smeg

One thing i will warn you about is they're not small cards - so if you have a mid tower it might be a tight fit.

I wouldn't have thought the CPU would cause a bottleneck - best to try it and see.

MasterAvatar
Old-School Monkeh
Old-School Monkeh

Postby smeg4brainsuk » 09 Jan 2012, 00:06

Aiiiii its a beast of a card, 11 inches and 3 slots and should fit fairly snug in my tower, air flow will be interesting as it will basically kill the air flow from the bottom of the case to the top but that should be ok....

smeg4brainsuk
Monkeh!
Monkeh!

Return to Hardware/OS Discussions